Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Playing Catch Up

The last couple of days have been insane and I'd really just like to relax, so here's a catch-up recap:

Two nights ago, came home to notice taped to the window of my trailer threatening to "evict" me: "WAL-MART DOES NOT ALLOW OVERNIGHT PARKING!!!!! MOVE OR YOU WILL BE TOWED!!!!!"

Well, um, actually... yes, they do allow overnight parking. In fact, I called in advance and spoke to a manger, making sure of it.

Turns out some newer moron did some really stupid things, such as running his noisy generator around 1 a.m., littering all around his trailer (we're talking paper trash, bottles, even socks!), and unhooking his trailer from his vehicle and leaving it in the parking lot while driving around in his truck, thereby technically "abandoning" a vehicle. Not only did he do all of this, but he did it while Wal-Mart corporate was visiting the store, and they took notice.

Long story short, five or six RVs fled that night in search of greener pastures, with no idea where to go. A few others and I stuck around, and two of us (myself and P., the "mayor" of the Wal-Mart parking lot, who has lived there for 4 months and counting) went into Wal-Mart in the morning to speak to the manager. We showered and put on business suits before going in.

The manager lady was nice (although she had to point out that we didn't "look" homeless. Well, duh. That's kind of the point). She said that corporate had visited the night before and that when they visit, they always send someone out to post those flyers on the long-term residents' RVs (although they leave the homeless living out of cars and vans alone, which is lucky for them).

P. showed the lady all of the Wal-Mart receipts he had accrued, demonstrating just how much business Wal-Mart gets from allowing him to stay. I explained that we were quiet and kept to ourselves, never littered, etc. I also told her that I have a full-time job and am not a "bum", I just need a place to park while I transition out of this, and had called ahead to make sure that would be OK.

She told us that we seemed nice and respectful, and recommended we just stay in the parking lot. She said that the store managers would not call the police on us or have us towed - they don't want to have to pay to tow giant RVs out, plus, they really have no problem with us being there as long as we don't draw attention to ourselves. Really, it was just the corporate office's beef, and they've left already. She said that if someone filed a complaint with the police, or the police came by of their own accord to speak to us, they would only ask us to move, not ticket or tow us. She said that if that happened, she would recommend moving to another Wal-Mart a few cities over, or to Sam's Club, for a night or two. Then we could come back.

So, we have stayed, and no problems so far, for the past couple of days. I feel really bad for the people that they scared out of there with those mean flyers, though. Where will they go? Sadly, the Lord of the Generator was not one of the ones that left, you'd think he could take a hint. P. went over to his truck and tore him a new one, and there has been no late-night generator running since, although there is still litter around his trailer. What a slob. The parking lot is FULL of trash cans. I swear, it only takes one inconsiderate moron to ruin it for the rest of us.


* * * * *


First day of work today, and I think it went pretty well! I love the people that I'm working with, they seem very fun-loving and laid-back. The job itself is busy, but not particularly difficult, or at least I've been able to pick up everything quickly so far. The company works with about 500 mortgage lenders, so I may be able to find financing for my house through them, despite weak-ish credit due to about $10K in debt (incurred when I turned 18 - not great, but it could be a lot worse, right?) Two of the marketing girls actually recommended me to one lender, so here's hoping!!!

I used to drive by "my" house (my best girlfriend calls it my castle; it's this giant Victorian fixer-upper with a big, gnarly chery-blossom tree in the front yard, and at night it looks like the Haunted Mansion) every couple of days to remind myself of what I was working towards, but I stopped doing it about a week and a half ago, because for a while it just seemed like there was no way it would ever happen and it was too painful - I started to fear that maybe I'd drive by one day and see a "SOLD!" sign on there, and break down and cry, knowing that I had missed my chance forever. However, it looks like there may still be a ray of hope left, so maybe I'll drive by again and give myself a perk-up.

Goals are important. If I can get the ball rolling on this house, I don't even care if it takes the full 6 months to purchase (short sale, they can take quite a while). I'll live in the trailer for 6 months, cheerfully waking up at 5 a.m. every day to drive to the gym and shower, so that I can head off to work and never tip off my coworkers that I'm living in a parking lot. I'll do it all with a smile on my face and never complain once, I swear, if it means that I can have my house (P.S. God, take note of the preceding. I know I don't particularly believe in you, but I swear I'll at least make the effort to, if you help this happen for me!) ;~P

No comments:

Post a Comment