Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Bangs That Ate The World


Yesterday, I decided I should probably dye and trim my hair, since it was getting a bit out of control, and I want to continue looking presentable at my new job.

Luckily, my very first "official" job was at a beauty salon - I ran the front desk. I was twelve. I made friends with one of the hairdressers, L., and she has been cutting my hair on the cheap and/or free for the past 12 years. Touching up my roots presented more of a challenge... I thought it might be pushing it just a little too much to try coloring it in the bathroom of Planet Fitness, or the community college locker room. First of all, it's about an hour-long process; second of all, it smells of unholy chemicals. At some point, someone would probably notice me, and I really don't want random strangers to be aware of my existence or location at the moment :)

So, I took the plunge, went into the salon early, gave a brief synopsis of the situation, and begged L. to let me put my color on there while she worked on her previous client. She lent me a cape and told me to have at it. Crisis averted.

The end result of my little beauty splurge yesterday is the monster '60s bangs you see swallowing my face above. I love them. I've done it once before and it was fun, gave me a completely new look. Sometimes I need something to hide behind. Bangs are great for that.

My two youngest sisters are in Europe with their mom - currently, they're spending time in Italy. There are no words for how much I envy them. The 17-year old has recently found herself a girlfriend, I'm so happy for her.

On a whim, Aishwarya and I drove out to Hollywood yesterday to see Sunshine Cleaners at the only California theatre in which it is currently playing (goes wide release on 3/20). We were early and it turned out, the theatre was right across the street from Amoeba music store, a place which holds decidedly complicated memories for me. Aishwarya had never been, so, underestimating the power of said memories, I dragged her in. Of course, it all hit in this massive tidal wave of emotion as I browsed through racks of thousands of used DVDs, and I was overwhelmed by incredible sadness and pain, so that sucked in general.

The movie was great, touching and funny. I knew going in that it was a dramedy about sisters who start a crime scene cleanup business, so I knew parts of it might remind me of recent events, but I wasn't expecting the opening sequence, in which a man walks into a sporting goods store, asks to see a 20-gauge shotgun, and promptly sticks it under his chin and blows his brains out right there. I suppose it hit a little bit too close to home for me.

Also hitting close to home was Amy Adams in a role that just wrenched my gut. At one point, she says, "I'm good at getting men to want me... not date me or marry me... but want me". I wanted to start bawling right there. I know the feeling. I suppose the initial shotgun incident started me off thinking about my biological father. I started thinking about how he didn't love me and bailed out when I was 2, and how that kind of set the scene for my life and relationship history with men from there. Out of 7 relationships, not one has loved me. It's difficult being with someone for months or even years, yet never once hearing "I love you", from even a single man. Some men say it to women, even if it's not true. I didn't even get that. In my case, my men couldn't say it because it wasn't ever true. You start wondering, if someone can't love you after six months, or a year, or two and half years - perhaps you really are unloveable. Or why a man who openly despises cheating and cheaters - an "uncheatable" man - somehow managed to cheat only on you. You think, if you're the only one this uncheatable man could see himself cheating on, if you somehow drove the nicest man on the planet to cheat on you, there must be something really, really wrong with you. If you bared your soul and dared to become more intimate with each other than you ever thought possible, really exposed your guts and got up the courage to open up facets of yourself that no one had ever previously seen, and he still couldn't love you, then no one could. Someone asked me for 3 wishes recently, and I gave them - one for myself, two for homeless people in general, and all the time my fourth, overwhelming wish was silently screaming, unbidden, pulsing like a siren, underscoring ever word that I actually spoke: "I want to be loved. I want to be loved back!!!!!"

So, of course, that sent me spiraling along a line of similar negative and sad thinking, which is on the whole, you know, kind of the opposite of what I'm going for. Sigh. What can I say. I'm human. It happens.

Anyway, the original point of my post is that I have awesome new bangs, The Bangs That Came From Outer Space And Devoured The World. Lovely, aren't they?



2 comments:

  1. Firstly, the bangs are hot. Love them and the color looks great on you, especially in contrast with your skin.

    Secondly, thanks for being real here, about what's up, how things are honestly going, and about that forth unspoken wish.

    Anyway, I admire you.. and if you're in the West Hollywood area any time soon let me know and if you're feeling lonely or want to meet a complete stranger... maybe we can go for a walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kaye! Unfortunately, the red fades so quickly, it'll only be that vibrant for about a week.

    Grr, just got back from Hollywood, too! I'd love to meet up with you at some point, I like making new friends :) Maybe my friend and I can take another trip out there sometime soon.

    ~B~

    ReplyDelete