Add to Technorati Favorites

Thursday, March 12, 2009

In Which ~B~ Finds Herself Alone In A Parking Lot

Oh, simple thing, where have you gone? I'm getting old and I need something to rely on.

* * * * *

My fellow mobile homeless have all taken their RVs and fled... not sure why; Wal-Mart/police haven't bothered us since talking to the manager; at least not to my knowledge - and no notes or tickets have appeared on my windshield. I knew P. was leaving for Lake Elsinore in the next couple of days - he found a campground out there and it's much closer to his 13-year-old daughter. But the rest, I fear, left because they thought they might be towed :`( This is so sad to me - there are so few suitable alternatives out there; if these people couldn't afford a campground and had to stay in a parking lot, where else will they be able to stay?

In any case, I am the sole trailer left in the parking lot (although there are still a few homeless left, all in cars/vans). I feel very naked, vulnerable, and stand-out-ish without a sea of trailers to blend into. Hopefully a few more will show up soon. I need cover. Plus, I got the opportunity to meet several of them over the last few days, and they were super awesome people. One was even a former dentist who spoke four languages!!!


* * * * *


Through newfound work connections (that's right, 2 days in - I waste absolutely no time), I seem to have possibly sorta maybe found someone who can get me financed for the house. He pointed out loopholes - as a first time homebuyer, I only need to come up with 3.5% down payment, and apparently there's some FHA program where I am allowed to ask for a seller's contribution of 6% of the sales price to pay all of the down payment and some or all of the closing costs. He also seems to think that the credit/debt won't be too much of a problem; thinks he can help me repair it in 35-60 days, especially now that I have a job. Downside of this is that I would have to schedule closing for at least 75 days out (leaving a buffer for any unexpected delays), but since the house is a short sale anyways, it's likely to take at least that long, if not longer (could even be 6 months), so that doesn't really make a difference. Please, please cross your fingers for me!!!

My bestest of the best friend, "Aishwarya" (she declined to pick her own pseudonym, so I named her after the most beautiful Bollywood star out there!) has a Human Services degree and is a certified grant writer. She is now the second personal acquaintance to be let in on my current situation. We went and had pina coladas on Monday to celebrate my new job, and just generally shot the breeze. Somehow, we stumbled upon the idea of having her write up a grant proposal to have the government give me some money to restore the house and use some of the rooms to accommodate 2-4 homeless women and children at a time, sort of a halfway house type thing (the home is pretty ginormous, like bed and breakfast big).

We'll see. I hope I hope I hope.


2 comments:

  1. How about posting on some free camping websites that that Wal-Mart parking lot is okay to stay in? It could drive the number of people back up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the idea, doll :)

    As far as I know, it's pretty common knowledge among RV-ers, and all Wal-Marts that allow the free overnight camping are already listed on the major free campground websites out there.

    Besides, *you* know where I'm at... how many travelers make a stop in *this* city? It's not exactly a major focal point to visit or stop in, you know?

    Oh, well. :(

    ReplyDelete