Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, March 13, 2009

On Best Friends



I'm telling you, it's awesome to have a best friend backing you up when you're in a situation like I am. I've been in positions before where I've felt like I had absolutely no support, nobody to turn to, and it's no picnic. When you've got the most amazing best friend in the world, though, nothing is too tough.

You guys have already read about "Dwight". Now, I am introducing you to "Aishwarya", the only other human being in my personal circle that has any idea about my current set of circumstances. I have given her a pseudonym, although she has given me permission to publish her photo here (this is the two of us last week, the day before my birthday, at a local community college theatre production).

Aishwarya has been my best friend since junior high school, when she moved to California from Bangladesh. We have been through some unbelievably tough times together, and she has endured a lot of personal B.S. throughout her young life, yet come out the other side stronger for it, and beautiful as ever. Despite her own incredibly busy and full life, Aishwarya has consistently found time to be there for me during all of this craziness. She is the kindest, most giving, biggest-hearted person I've ever met. Just wanted to give acknowledgement. She is heading off in June for about 6 months (job-related training) and I will miss her terribly.

As you can see, my face is still blotted out by the omnipresent green circle, haha. However, my face may soon enough be a matter of somewhat public record, even if my name/exact location shall not - a certain well-known homeless activist recently did a video interview with me *hides face in hands* so I suppose anyone interested enough may see me on camera soon. Blegh. I hate the way I look on film. Just so you know, they're not kidding when they say the camera adds 10 or 20 lbs. If you watch said interview, don't say I didn't warn you. :`(

I'm also going to be doing another interview tomorrow (this time by telephone) with a very kind and seemingly awesome-sauce journalist writing an article on the mobile homeless for the Daily Beast. How weird do I feel right now? I swear, I never thought the words "I'm going to be doing an interview" would come out of my mouth (fingers?) unless it was in the context of job-searching. Anyway, happy to do what I can to help put the issue out there.

Still... so very, very weird.

Yay!!! I have two blog "followers"!!!!! I have no idea what exactly this means, but woohoo.


No comments:

Post a Comment